Lake Tahoe is home to some of the best skiing in the United States during the winter season. Frequent blizzards, annual snowfall that can total above 400 inches, stunning slopes and breathtaking mountain views all await you here. Here are five of the top ski destinations to visit at Lake Tahoe.
1. Squaw Valley- One of Lake Tahoe’s premier ski resorts, Squaw Valley has it all for the adventurous skier. A vibrant resort village, 3,600 skiable acres of land, and Olympic history to boot, there is nothing missing from your ski vacation at Squaw Valley. Spend your days riding the lifts up the peaks and skiing down again, while unwinding at night in the resort village with a dip in the pool.
2. Alpine Meadows- For the more rustic skier, Alpine Meadows offers scoops, bowls and slopes to keep your skis sliding with plenty of lifts to keep you on the go. Lodge-style chalets await you when your day is over, allowing your trip to have that true ski-style feel. With 2,400 acres of land to ski you cannot go wrong with a stay at Alpine Meadows.
3. Heavenly- Heavenly is Lake Tahoe’s largest ski resort, measuring in at an astounding 4,800 acres of snow-covered terrain. Those who like to follow their own paths will feel right at home here, as Heavenly offers you the ability to ski off the beaten path. The largest ski resort in Lake Tahoe is also home to one of the biggest resort parties around, featuring dancers, music and drinks among the slopes.
4. Northstar California- Families that love to ski together will find their perfect vacation at Northstar California Ski Resorts, a resort that keeps families in mind from the slopes to the dinner table. Featuring children’s lessons, world-class gourmet restaurants, and shops to peruse during ski breaks, Northstar has something for all members of the family. Kids will enjoy snow tubing when they tire of skiing while parents can relax and enjoy the California beauty.
5. Kirkwood- Kirkwood offers a little something for all adventure seekers. For beginners, there are tamer trails to develop your chops on. For the more experienced, tougher terrain awaits you to test your skills. Kirkwood’s unique location and elevation make for a perfect powder recipe that all skiers dream of, making it a prime destination to check out while visiting Lake Tahoe. No matter what adventure you seek, Kirkwood is sure to have it.